JERUSALEM: Watchmen on the Wall



On the walls of Jerusalem there is a walkway. Originally, this served for the guards or the watchmen to walk on. They would take turns day and night to protect the city from their enemies, especially during the day when the doors would remain open. From the top of the wall they could distinguish anyone who approached the city; if they saw the enemy’s army, they would immediately close the doors so that they could not penetrate.

In a spiritual sense, the intercessors and the prophets serve as watchmen for the people of God. They have the gift of seeing long term and discerning the spiritual dangers. Their spiritual mandate is to “blow the trumpet” and warn the people of any spiritual threat.
(Jeremiah 6:16-19) Thus says the LORD: “Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ (17) I set watchmen over you, saying, ‘Pay attention to the sound of the trumpet!’ But they said, ‘We will not pay attention.’ (18) Therefore hear, O nations, and know, O congregation, what will happen to them. (19) Hear, O earth; behold, I am bringing disaster upon this people, the fruit of their devices, because they have not paid attention to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it.

If we are wise, we will hear the word of the watchmen, the warning of the prophet. Many times they will tell us things we don’t want to hear, because sometimes the truth hurts. But the warning is for our own good, and we have to pay attention to it.

When it comes to the watchman and the prophet, they have the obligation to speak out. Although they run the risk of being rejected because of the strong message that they bring, they have the responsibility before God to warn the people.
(Ezekiel 3:17-21) “Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. (18) If I say to the wicked, ‘You shall surely die,’ and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, in order to save his life, that wicked person shall die for his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. (19) But if you warn the wicked, and he does not turn from his wickedness, or from his wicked way, he shall die for his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul. (20) Again, if a righteous person turns from his righteousness and commits injustice, and I lay a stumbling block before him, he shall die. Because you have not warned him, he shall die for his sin, and his righteous deeds that he has done shall not be remembered, but his blood I will require at your hand. (21) But if you warn the righteous person not to sin, and he does not sin, he shall surely live, because he took warning, and you will have delivered your soul.”

REMINDERS
Isaiah the prophet says that on the last days the Lord will raise up an army of intercessors that will pray for Jerusalem. They will not stop until it has been restored.
(Isaiah 62:6-7) On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have set watchmen; all the day and all the night they shall never be silent. You who put the LORD in remembrance, take no rest, (7) and give him no rest until he establishes Jerusalem and makes it a praise in the earth.

The phrase: “You who put the LORD in remembrance”, in Hebrew is: Mezakarim, which literally means: “reminders”. It comes from the verb Zakar, which means: to remind, mention, commemorate, bring to memory.

The “reminders of Jehovah” are those people who remind the Lord of what he has promised, through prayers. The Lord tells them not to stop until Jerusalem is “reestablished” (Heb. Kun: raised up, established, fig. prosperous), that is, until the nations give praise to God for what He will do in it.

Does the Lord really need us to “remind Him” about Jerusalem? We know that God will never forget about His Chosen City because he loves it and fervently desires its restoration. The “reminder” is intended more for us, so that we won’t forget what God has promised about Jerusalem, and so that we won’t be led by the circumstances but that we would believe in what the Lord has promised He will do in Jerusalem.

If throughout history God has allowed Jerusalem to fall and be destroyed, it is not because God forgot about it or because their enemies have been stronger. On the contrary, God has allowed it because of the sin of the people. God is more interested in the hearts than on the stones and the buildings. The restoration of Jerusalem won’t happen only on the material realm, but also on a spiritual realm.
(Micah 7:8-11) Rejoice not over me, O my enemy; when I fall, I shall rise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD will be a light to me. (9) I will bear the indignation of the LORD because I have sinned against him, until he pleads my cause and executes judgment for me. He will bring me out to the light; I shall look upon his vindication. (10) Then my enemy will see, and shame will cover her who said to me, “Where is the LORD your God?” My eyes will look upon her; now she will be trampled down like the mire of the streets. (11) A day for the building of your walls! In that day the boundary shall be far extended.


More articles on the Promised Land, in the page: Israel

Comments