JERUSALEM: Punished, but Restored



If God chose Jerusalem as his special city, then why has he allowed this area to be destroyed and occupied by other people? Did God forget about the Holy City?

The reason for which God has allowed the temporary occupation of Jerusalem is clearly expressed in the warning that the Lord gave Solomon right when they were inaugurating the First Temple in Jerusalem:
(1 Kings 9:3-5) And the LORD said to him, “I have heard your prayer and your plea, which you have made before me. I have consecrated this house that you have built, by putting my name there forever. My eyes and my heart will be there for all time. (4) And as for you, if you will walk before me, as David your father walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that I have commanded you, and keeping my statutes and my rules, (5) then I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever, as I promised David your father, saying, ‘You shall not lack a man on the throne of Israel.’

Then the Lord warned him of what would happen if Israel didn’t walk in God’s ways…
(1 Kings 9:6-9, NKJV) But if you or your sons at all turn from following Me, and do not keep My commandments and My statutes which I have set before you, but go and serve other gods and worship them, (7) then I will cut off Israel from the land which I have given them; and this house which I have consecrated for My name I will cast out of My sight. Israel will be a proverb and a byword among all peoples. (8) And as for this house, which is exalted, everyone who passes by it will be astonished and will hiss, and say, ‘Why has the Lord done thus to this land and to this house?’ (9) Then they will answer, ‘Because they forsook the Lord their God, who brought their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and have embraced other gods, and worshiped them and served them; therefore the Lord has brought all this calamity on them.’

Far be it from God’s heart to allow the enemies to destroy Jerusalem, but more important than the buildings are the People. If Israel needed discipline, God would discipline them even with sadness in his heart.

Unfortunately, God’s people forgot about this divine warning. The kings of Israel and the people walked away from God’s ways and profaned the Temple and the Holy City.
(2 Kings 21:4) And he built altars in the house of the LORD, of which the LORD had said, “In Jerusalem will I put my name.”
(2 Kings 21:7) And the carved image of Asherah that he had made he set in the house of which the LORD said to David and to Solomon his son, “In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, I will put my name forever.

The punishment was not immediate; first there was a call to repentance. God’s mercy lasted a long time… but they didn’t change; so God allowed the enemies to take over Jerusalem. If the Temple wasn’t saved, maybe the Israelites souls would be saved, who would have the opportunity to learn through tragedy.
(2 Kings 23:27) And the LORD said, “I will remove Judah also out of my sight, as I have removed Israel, and I will cast off this city that I have chosen, Jerusalem, and the house of which I said, My name shall be there.”

God knew that his people would fail him, but he also knew that they could be restored. That is why the Lord revealed to Solomon the way through which the people could return in case they went astray from the Good Way…
(2 Chronicles 7:11-14) Thus Solomon finished the house of the LORD and the king’s house. All that Solomon had planned to do in the house of the LORD and in his own house he successfully accomplished. (12) Then the LORD appeared to Solomon in the night and said to him: “I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a house of sacrifice. (13) When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, (14) if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Repentance is the medicine that cures the negative effects of disobedience. It is the door to restoration…
(Nehemiah 1:8-9) Remember the word that you commanded your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the peoples, (9) but if you return to me and keep my commandments and do them, though your outcasts are in the uttermost parts of heaven, from there I will gather them and bring them to the place that I have chosen, to make my name dwell there.’

If God rejected Israel and Jerusalem, it was only for a period, because He has promised to bring restoration…
(Psalms 69:35-36) For God will save Zion and build up the cities of Judah, and people shall dwell there and possess it; (36) the offspring of his servants shall inherit it, and those who love his name shall dwell in it.

On the next post, we will read about God’s promise to rebuild Jerusalem, and how He will come back to live there…

More articles on the Promised Land, on the page: Israel


Comments