JERUSALEM: Promise of Restoration



The Lord chose Jerusalem as his special City, and he didn’t choose it only for a certain amount of time, but forever! The Word says that the Lord will return and live there, on the Temple Mount, the place where He put His Name. God will still choose Jerusalem and will still comfort Zion…
(Zechariah 1:14-17) So the angel who talked with me said to me, ‘Cry out, Thus says the LORD of hosts: I am exceedingly jealous for Jerusalem and for Zion. (15) And I am exceedingly angry with the nations that are at ease; for while I was angry but a little, they furthered the disaster. (16) Therefore, thus says the LORD, I have returned to Jerusalem with mercy; my house shall be built in it, declares the LORD of hosts, and the measuring line shall be stretched out over Jerusalem. (17) Cry out again, Thus says the LORD of hosts: My cities shall again overflow with prosperity, and the LORD will again comfort Zion and again choose Jerusalem.’

God hasn’t forgotten about Israel, and he never will…
(Isaiah 49:14-19) But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me; my Lord has forgotten me.” (15) “Can a woman forget her nursing child, that she should have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, yet I will not forget you. (16) Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are continually before me. (17) Your builders make haste; your destroyers and those who laid you waste go out from you. (18) Lift up your eyes around and see; they all gather, they come to you. As I live, declares the LORD, you shall put them all on as an ornament; you shall bind them on as a bride does. (19) “Surely your waste and your desolate places and your devastated land— surely now you will be too narrow for your inhabitants, and those who swallowed you up will be far away.

Instead of destruction there will be rebuilding. Jerusalem will be lifted up again. Not only that, but his sons will inhabit it again… the sons of Israel (even those who were thought to be lost and assimilated to the nations).
(Isaiah 49:20-23) The children of your bereavement will yet say in your ears: ‘The place is too narrow for me; make room for me to dwell in.’ (21) Then you will say in your heart: ‘Who has borne me these? I was bereaved and barren, exiled and put away, but who has brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; from where have these come?’” (22) Thus says the Lord GOD: “Behold, I will lift up my hand to the nations, and raise my signal to the peoples; and they shall bring your sons in their arms, and your daughters shall be carried on their shoulders. (23) Kings shall be your foster fathers, and their queens your nursing mothers. With their faces to the ground they shall bow down to you, and lick the dust of your feet. Then you will know that I am the LORD; those who wait for me shall not be put to shame.”

The Lord has allowed for the enemies to occupy the Temple Mount for a while, but this will not be forever. Jerusalem is the City chosen by God, and He will take his Holy Mount back. Zechariah the prophet says that he will do it with great jealousy…
(Zechariah 8:1-3) And the word of the LORD of hosts came, saying, (2) “Thus says the LORD of hosts: I am jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. (3) Thus says the LORD: I have returned to Zion and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem, and Jerusalem shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the LORD of hosts, the holy mountain.

God has not forgotten Jerusalem. The Lord will take back the place which He chose to place His Name on.
(Psalms 132:13-14) For the LORD has chosen Zion; he has desired it for his dwelling place: (14) “This is my resting place forever; here I will dwell, for I have desired it.

When the Messiah comes, that will be the time to restore Jerusalem…
(Joel 3:16-17) The LORD roars from Zion, and utters his voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth quake. But the LORD is a refuge to his people, a stronghold to the people of Israel. (17) “So you shall know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through it.

The Bible says that there will be a time of mercy for Zion…
(Psalms 102:12-22) But you, O LORD, are enthroned forever; you are remembered throughout all generations. (13) You will arise and have pity on Zion; it is the time to favor her; the appointed time has come. (14) For your servants hold her stones dear and have pity on her dust. (15) Nations will fear the name of the LORD, and all the kings of the earth will fear your glory. (16) For the LORD builds up Zion; he appears in his glory; (17) he regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer. (18) Let this be recorded for a generation to come, so that a people yet to be created may praise the LORD: (19) that he looked down from his holy height; from heaven the LORD looked at the earth, (20) to hear the groans of the prisoners, to set free those who were doomed to die, (21) that they may declare in Zion the name of the LORD, and in Jerusalem his praise, (22) when peoples gather together, and kingdoms, to worship the LORD.

God will not only restore the City of Jerusalem, but he will also restore His people. Although they were dispersed, the Lord will bring the people of Israel back to the Land which he promised them. We will cover this on the next post…

More articles on the Promised Land, on the page: Israel


Comments