SUKKOT (V): Light



LIGHT ON SUKKOT
Another one of the ceremonies that characterize the feast of Sukkot (Tabernacles) was the lighting of the Temple. In one of the outer courts of the Temple, the one known as the “Court of the Women”, the Levites placed two giant lamps, which were built during the Feast, and would light up all the city of Jerusalem, making it look like a city of gold when seen from the distance.

The wicks that were used for those lamps were made out of the priests’ old garments. On this feast, the priests received new garments, and the old ones served to light the fire that lit up the city during those times of rejoicing.

Jesus used to go to Jerusalem to celebrate Sukkot. In one of those occasions (John 7:1-4), He said this:
(John 8:12) …“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

The Lord also tells his followers to be light to the nations, to call the nations unto Him, who is the Light of Life.
(Matthew 5:14-16) You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. (15) Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. (16) In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.



(Isaiah 43:10-14) “You are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. (11) I, I am the LORD, and besides me there is no savior. (12) I declared and saved and proclaimed, when there was no strange god among you; and you are my witnesses,” declares the LORD, “and I am God. (13) Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?” (14) Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel…


Comments