YOU HAVE HEARD... BUT I SAY TO YOU (D)


(Day 24)

Another commandment Jesus mentioned during the Sermon on the Mount is the Retribution Law:

*  Law of Retribution
(Matthew 5:38)  You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.'
an eye for an eye

This is where we find this law:
(Leviticus 24:19-22)  If anyone injures his neighbor, as he has done it shall be done to him, fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; whatever injury he has given a person shall be given to him. Whoever kills an animal shall make it good, and whoever kills a person shall be put to death. You shall have the same rule for the sojourner and for the native, for I am the LORD your God.

The intention of the Law of Retribution is restitution, not vengeance. When someone damages or looses someone else’s property, he is required to restore it. The courts of justice were in charge of determining which retribution was fair, in case the exact object couldn’t be replaced.

Some have taken these verses as a “license for vengeance”, but this is not the spirit of the Law. The Bible speaks of justice, but not of taking justice into our own hands. We must leave vengeance in God’s hands and justice into the hands of capable authorities.

The Torah itself clearly states that we should not avenge ourselves.
(Leviticus 19:18)  You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

If someone has been evil or unfair with me, does this give me the right to act in the same way towards him? Jesus teaches us how we must act:
(Matthew 5:39-42)  But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Jesus teaches us to overcome the offenses, not by taking vengeance or lowering ourselves to the level of the offenders, but by acting appropriately. When we take vengeance or repay “evil for evil”, the offense is not removed, it is multiplied.
(Romans 12:17-21)  Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

(1 Thessalonians 5:15)  See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.

(Proverbs 20:22)  Do not say, "I will repay evil"; wait for the LORD, and he will deliver you.


PRAYER
Lord, I must admit that in my heart there are times when I wanted to take vengeance when someone has wronged me. But I recognize that I must not take vengeance in my own hands. Vengeance is yours, Lord.

I will not lift my hand against my enemy, so that evil is not multiplied. I will not pay evil for evil. On the contrary, I have decided to do that which is good. Teach me, Lord, to love those around me as you love them. Teach me to be humble and merciful.

I will wait for you, Lord, because you will deliver me. I trust that you will bring sentence. Be my Judge, Lord. Plead my cause and deliver me from evil.

[1 Samuel 24:12,15; Prov. 20:22; 1 Tes. 5:15]

Comments