WHO WILL ENTER THE KINGDOM


(Day 38)

A few days ago we considered the difference Jesus mentioned between being able to “see” the Kingdom and being able to “enter” into the Kingdom. We will mention it again, because it is crucial to understanding the final message of the Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus said that in order to SEE the Kingdom it is necessary to be born again.
(John 3:3)  Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

To be born again is to confess and recognize that Jesus is our Lord.
(1 John 5:1)  Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him.

But something else is needed in order to be able to ENTER into the Kingdom.
(John 3:5-6)  Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

To be born of water and the Spirit involves a life transformed. After recognizing Jesus as Savior, we must also recognize him as Lord. This means that we are going to do whatever he commands.

At the end of the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said:
(Matthew 7:21)  Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Entering into the Kingdom implies doing things as God ordains. Every kingdom has law and regulations. If someone does not follow them, he may end up in jail or exiled. The same applies to the Kingdom of God. After being saved, the Lord opens the gates to His Kingdom for us. He expects from us to recognize him as King and to submit to his regulations.

Lord, Lord... I never knew you.

Sadly, there are many people who deceive themselves believing that they are living in the Kingdom merely because they made a confession of faith, or because they attend church services on Sundays and perform religious practices. But if there is no transformation in their lives or they don’t live according to the laws of the Kingdom, they have not yet “entered” the Kingdom.
That is why Jesus said:
(Matthew 7:22-23)  On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
The word translated here as “lawlessness” is the Greek word Anomia, which literally means: “without law”, or “without Torah” (A—without; Nomos—written law).
(Titus 1:16)  They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

Following the same line of Jesus’ message, Paul wrote:
(2 Timothy 2:15-16, 19)  Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness… But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity."

In the Kingdom of God it is not enough to just hear the Word, it is expected that we act and live accordingly.
(James 1:21-22)  Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

Tomorrow we will read a parable Jesus told as an illustration to this message…

PRAYER
My spiritual eyes were opened when I believed in you, Jesus. I have seen the Kingdom, but now I want to enter it. I do not want to be left out of such great blessing. My God, I want to be able to call you “Lord”, by truly living it. I want to call you Lord because I have recognized you as King of my life, as someone to submit to and obey. I want to live Your Kingdom, not only know about it. I want to be a doer of the word, and not a hearer only.

Lord, today I am determined to put away filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save my soul and make me complete.  Guide me in your path. I want to act honorably in all things, and be equipped with everything good that I may do your will. Work in me that which is pleasing in your sight. To you be glory forever and ever. Amen.

[James 1:21-22; Hebrews 13:18-21]

Comments