TO JUDGE OR NOT TO JUDGE (Mat. 7:1)


(Day 32)


to judge or not to judge

We are now starting the last portion of the Sermon of the Mount. Jesus continues to explain controversial issues, themes in the Bible that had been misunderstood. At the beginning of chapter seven, Jesus speaks about “judging”.
(Matthew 7:1) Judge not, that you be not judged.

There are two extremes people tend to have when it comes to judging:

i.  Some people decide to not judge at all. This is not out of love, but rather a way to avoid confrontation. With this neutral attitude they let actions and attitudes go by that corrupt the congregation.

ii. Other people judge left and right; not with love, or with a genuine interest for their improvement, but to point out their mistakes. This is usually done by those who consider themselves “better” than others.

Both extremes are wrong.

Jesus is not telling us to stop judging altogether, but that we must do it correctly. He warns us about the consequences of judging without being conscious of what we are doing.
(Matthew 7:2) For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.

Judging is a two edged sword. If we don’t do it right, we may get hurt in the process. Some are very quick when it comes to criticizing others, but don’t take the time to look at themselves in the mirror first. Judgment must begin with me.


TO JUDGE IS TO DISTINGUISH
The word translated “judge” in this verse is the Greek word “Krino”, which literally means: to separate, to select, to choose.

The Lord wants us to learn to separate, to distinguish, right from wrong, and then to choose to do that which is right.
(Ezekiel 44:23)  They shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean.

Judgment must begin with me. We must measure ourselves according to the “divine measuring rod” that shows us what is right and what is wrong. If there is a need to judge others, this judgment must not be used to attack or scorn someone, but rather to give him direction, to correct him and encourage him. We should never “condemn”. This is a privilege for God alone.

Furthermore, if we have the need to judge, we must not do it behind the person’s back or to scorn him before others, rather we must do it face to face; and this confrontation must begin in private.
(Matthew 18:15-17)  If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

Sometimes we don’t have the moral privilege to judge on a certain issue, because we are guilty of doing the same wrong we are trying to point out. This is what Jesus was referring to when he said the following:
(Matthew 7:3-5) Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

If we are going to judge, we must first make sure we are morally free to do so. We must also make sure we have the other person’s wellbeing in mind, pointing out his mistake with love and mercy, to give him a chance to rectify. Even then, we must realize that there are those who will not appreciate this “righteous judgment”. About this cases Jesus said the following:
(Matthew 7:6)   Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.


PRAYER
Lord, right now I repent from wrongly judging my brother and sisters. I recognize that I have not done it in your justice every time, but with spiritual pride. Please forgive me, Lord. I want to show others the same mercy I have received from you.

Before I pretend to “cleanse” others, I must first cleanse my own life. There is where I will begin. Teach me to distinguish between the holy and the profane.
And as I practice what you teach me, I will begin to teach it to those who want to receive it. But when I see someone that needs to rectify something in his life I will not be silent. Right then and there I will be careful to speak to him with love and kindness. I will not speak of him behind his back, but to him in private, with the intention of lifting him up, not to humiliate him. Help me, Lord, to build up the walls of Your People.

Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! "May they be secure who love you! Peace be within your walls and security within your towers!" For my brothers and companions' sake I will say, "Peace be within you!" For the sake of the house of the LORD our God, I will seek your good. (Psalms 122:6-9)  

Comments