THE GATE AND THE YOKE


(Day 35)

narrow gate

The world teaches us to look for an easy way out and a quick fix for everything. This frame of mind has been encouraged mainly in the modern age. It promotes seeking for the benefits without paying the price. It encourages taking “shortcuts” in life that end up being paths to destruction.
(Proverbs 5:21-23)  For a man's ways are before the eyes of the LORD, and he ponders all his paths. The iniquities of the wicked ensnare him, and he is held fast in the cords of his sin. He dies for lack of discipline, and because of his great folly he is led astray.

The Bible teaches us that in order to obtain benefits we must first pay the price. If we want to reap, we must first sow and plow. This is the way life works, and also the way the Kingdom of God works. During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught about this using a gate as an analogy:
(Matthew 7:13-14)  Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

When we read that the gate that leads to life is narrow, we must not only think of how Jesus is the gate to the Kingdom, but also about the lifestyle of the Kingdom. The means to enter the Kingdom is by faith, but after that we must learn to live according to the rules of the Kingdom of God.

The truth is that, at the beginning, we all have trouble adjusting to the lifestyle of the Kingdom of God. It is difficult because we must restrict ourselves, we must control ourselves. We can’t do whatever we want; we must adhere to the rules of the Kingdom. Some see this order as a “restriction”. We must come to understand that God did not give us the Law to limit us, but to make sure that we do well, that we may have a good life.
(Proverbs 10:8-9)  The wise of heart will receive commandments, but a babbling fool will come to ruin. Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.

(Proverbs 2:6-15)  For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints. Then you will understand righteousness and justice and equity, every good path; for wisdom will come into your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul; discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you, delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech, who forsake the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness, who rejoice in doing evil and delight in the perverseness of evil, men whose paths are crooked, and who are devious in their ways.

EASY YOKE AND LIGHT BURDEN
In Jewish culture, the Law (the Torah) was considered a yoke that every Jew had to bear. Jesus explained that this burden was in fact light.
(Matthew  11:29-30)  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

my yoke is easy

The yoke is the wooden frame that an ox or other draft animal carries on its shoulder. Usually, a yoke is carried by two animals. Harnessed together, they have the capability of pulling the plough with greater ease. Jesus tells us to join ourselves to him, under his yoke. He already put it on, by being obedient, even to the point of death (Philippians 2:5-9). Now we can put it on too, with his help.
(Matthew  16:24-27)  Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

(1 John 2:1-6)  My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world. And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

Tomorrow we will continue learning about the narrow gate…

PRAYER
Lord, make me to know your ways, teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart!

Lord, I am willing to take your yoke upon me. I do not want to continue to sin, but to walk in your ways. You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes!

I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous rules. I will show my love for you by keeping your commandments, because I want you to love me and manifest yourself to me. I will enter by the narrow gate.

[Psalms 25:4-5; Psalms 119:1-8; John 14:21]

Comments