SERVING GOD OR MONEY


(Day 29)

After speaking about the treasure of the heart, Jesus continues:
(Matthew 6:24) No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

God or wealth

The word translated here as “Money” is the Greek: “Mammon”, which literally means: confidence or greed.

Mammon also was the name of a pagan god in the Middle East. In Egypt, there was a giant statue dedicated to this god, known as the “Colossi of Mammon”. In Greece and Rome its counterpart was the god Pluto (whose name literally means: to enrich). It was also called “Hades” and was considered to possess the riches of the world and also to be the guardian of the underworld.

Mammon is not the same as “money”. Money is nothing more than an instrument, which could represent a blessing or curse in our life. What is wrong is the “love of money”.
(1 Timothy 6:7-11) For we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs. But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.

The question we must ask ourselves concerning Money is: Where is my heart? When riches become the most important thing in our life, then we are serving Mammon, which is the spirit of greed. This is the spirit that prevails in the world and its economic system. When money becomes an “idol” for us, it acts like a force that leads us to dedicate our lives and surrender ourselves to the search and acquisition of money, at any cost.

Paul sends a warning to help us avoid falling into this trap. The world serves the god of money, but we are called to pursue the virtues of the Kingdom of God: righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. These virtues are our treasure, and we must invest in them.

PRAYER
Lord, I am in the world, but I am not of the world; I belong to the Kingdom of Heaven. Therefore, I am not going to live according to the order of the world, which devotes itself to seek fame and fortune. As a citizen of your Kingdom, I will seek spiritual treasures that will last forever.

Please forgive me if there has been love of money in my heart. I repent and commit myself to change. I want to invest time in the study of your Word to come to know that which is important in the Kingdom of Heaven. I will dedicate my life to developing those virtues. I brought nothing into the world, and I cannot take anything out of the world. I will not pursue that which is transient; instead I will invest in eternal treasures. I will be content if I have food and clothing. Deliver me from the temptation of the senseless and harmful desires of this world, that plunge people into ruin and destruction. I will flee from the love of money and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, and gentleness.

[John 17:14-16; 1 Timothy 6:7-11]

Comments