PERSECUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS' SAKE

(Day 16)
The eigth blessing of the Kingdom of Heaven is:
 (Matthew 5:10)  Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Persecuted
 Jesus did not mean those persecuted for any reason. He meant to be persecuted “for righteousness’ sake”, for doing that which is righteous in the sight of God.

There will be people who will be upset when we live in righteousness while they are living in sin. There will be those who will be upset to hear the Truth when they have believed lies. If we reflect the Lord’ Light in our lives, it will disturb those who want to live in darkness.
(John 3:19-21)  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.

Jesus is the Light of Life and He calls us to follow His example to be a light to the World.
(Matthew 5:14-16)  You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Our good works give testimony of God here on Earth. This is good news for those who want this light in their lives. But, as Jesus pointed out, not everyone will welcome this light, and we will be rejected, as Jesus was, for shining it.

How may we experience this persecution? It may be physical, but also social, by being ridiculed, rejected or isolated. It may come to the point of being threatened to death, as it may happen in communist or Islamic countries.

Modern society has estranged itself so much from God’s order that it isn’t difficult to imagine how a Christian may be persecuted now a day. For example: there is censorship towards those who refuse to carry out an abortion, or rejection towards those who defend the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman.

If we are seeking the approval of men, we may avoid being rejected, but we will not obtain the greatest reward: the divine and eternal reward.

(Psalms 58:11)  Mankind will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; surely there is a God who judges on earth."

We must not be discouraged from doing that which is right or speaking out our beliefs when we are rejected, or even persecuted. Our objective should be to please God and not men.

If we live as God commands, maybe people around us will criticize us, but we will be blessed by God. Jesus said that we are not of this world, because we belong to the Kingdom of God, and we live according to the regulations of His Kingdom.
(John 17:14-20)  I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth. I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word.

Tomorrow we will read the following verse, which also deals with persecution…

PRAYER
Lord, sometimes I have trouble understanding how persecution can be good for me, but Your Word makes it clear. Now I understand that persecution itself is not what blesses me, but the reason why I am gong through it – which is righteousness.

I want to please You, Lord. I will not seek the approval of man, or make an effort to be a people-pleaser. Better yet, I choose to be a servant of Christ, to do the will of God from the heart. I will not fear rejection for living my life according to the rules of the Kingdom of Heaven, because my citizenship is in heaven.

Jesus, I will follow your example. Even when I am persecuted I will continue to be faithful. In the world I will have tribulation, but I trust in You, because You have overcome the world.

[Galatians 1:10; Ephesians 6:6; Philippians 3:20; John 16:33]

Comments