CAME TO FULFILL, NOT TO ABOLISH (Mat 5:17-19)


(Day 20)

Jesus’ teachings seemed so original in his time, that some thought he was putting aside the law… but it was quite the opposite. Jesus said:
(Matthew 5:17)  Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

I have come to fulfill...
The word translated “abolish” (greek Kataluo) may also be translated: dissolve, break up, untie, demolish, tear down, overthrow.

The word translated “fulfill” (greek Pleroo) literally means: fill something up, to make it full; that is to bring to its fullness.

Truly, Jesus never transgressed God’s Law. He was perfect and righteous. Yet, he did not submit to the “law of men”.

Jewish leaders had added extra laws besides those God had given them. Laws like the washing of hands and specific prohibitions on the day of rest, which were not written in the Word.  Jesus did not submit to those laws, because they were human interpretations, not divine.

The Law of God is written in the Bible, specifically, in the first five books: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. In Hebrew it is known as “Torah”, in English as “Pentateuch”.

If we dared to criticize the Jews for “adding” to the Law, we as Christians should also look at ourselves in the mirror. So many different Christian denominations or faiths have added doctrines and rules to the Word of God.  Even if it has been done with a “good intention”, at the end they distracts us from the truth of the Word of God… this is how religions are born.

Jesus did not come to “abolish” the Law (Torah) or to minimize what the Prophets (Isaiah to Malachi) wrote. On the contrary, He came to fulfill it; not only by practicing the Laws of the Kingdom, by living as God commands, but by fulfilling the prophecies written about the Messiah.

The apostle Paul wrote:
(Romans 10:4)  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

This particular verse has been a subject of misinterpretation, since the word “end” has several meanings in English. In this verse the Greek word used is “Telos” which literally means: goal or objective. Jesus is not “the ending” of the Law, but the objective and purpose of the Law. It aims to Him and speaks of Him. Jesus did not do away with the Law, but fulfilled it.

Rejection to the Torah started very early in the history of the Christian Church, due to the anti-Semitic spirit that the roman persecution instigated. It is heartbreaking that we inherited this, because it has gotten us away from the foundation of the Bible: The Torah (or Pentateuch), the first five books, which are known throughout the Bible as “the Law” or as “Moses”.

Instead of calling us to depart from the Law, Jesus calls us to turn our eyes to this very vital, yet abandoned, part of God’s Word. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus continues saying:
(Matthew 5:18-19) For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.


There has not been a referendum in Heaven authorizing us to make any amendments to the Laws of the Kingdom of God. God’s order has not changed. What changed with the New Covenant is the place where the Law is written:
(Jeremiah 31:31-33)  Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Read Psalms 119 (since it is a long passage, you may read it during the next few days).

PRAYER
Lord, please forgive me because, in my ignorance, I have rejected the Law, your commandments. By doing this I have rejected You. You have not changed, because you are the same yesterday, today and forever. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.  Until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Lord, I do not want to be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven for rejecting your commandments. On the contrary, I want to do them and teach them as you said.

Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word. Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. Amen.

[Hebrews 13:8-9; Matthew 5:18-19, 24:35; Romans 3:31; Psalms 119:12-18]

Comments