ANXIOUS ABOUT LIFE (Mat. 6:25)


(Day 30)


After Jesus asked if we serve God or money, he spoke about fear and the anxiety of life.
(Matthew 6:25)  Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?

There is a connection between the themes of the “love of money” and the “anxiety of life”. They both originate mainly out of fear.

fear

MAMMON AND FEAR
As we mentioned before, the spirit of greed is known as Mammon. This spirit works through fear, making us think about the future and instilling insecurity about what may happen.

Mammon promotes greed as a strategy to reach “security”. Earning and accumulating money become the purpose, goal and passion for life.  Greed and materialism close the doors to generosity, which is one of the virtues of the Kingdom of Heaven. If we live to accumulate instead of enjoying and sharing what we have, then we are serving Mammon, not God. When we put our trust in our possessions instead of trusting God, it is as if we are “serving Mammon”.

FEAR vrs. FAITH
Fear is the opposite of FAITH.

* FAITH:
Is having certainty and assurance on that which will come, even when it can’t be seen. Faith is not base on what you “desire”, but on what God said and promised.
(Hebrews 11:1)  Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
(Romans 10:17)  So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

*  FEAR:
Is being uncertain of what is going to happen. You could be in fear because you have not heard God’s Word, or because you do not believe, even though you heard Him. The former is ignorance (which does not free you from guilt), the latter is sin (and the reason many do not reach the promise).
(Hebrews 3:15-16)  As it is said, "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion." For who were those who heard and yet rebelled? Was it not all those who left Egypt led by Moses?

(Hebrews 3:18-19)  And to whom did he swear that they would not enter his rest, but to those who were disobedient? So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief.

Many did not enter the Promised Land because they did not have faith in God. They let themselves be afflicted with fear because they did not believe in God. Instead, they let the circumstances guide them. They were guided by their sight (by “the eye” Mat. 6:22-23). 


GREED
The dictionary defines “greed” as: “excessive desire for owning numerous possessions and wealth”. It is the love of money and the insatiable desire of obtaining more and more.

In the world, greed is the way of life, but it comes at a high cost.
(Proverbs 28:22)  A stingy man hastens after wealth and does not know that poverty will come upon him.

When you become wealthy because you are anxious about life, there is no blessing as a result. Many would sacrifice principles and values with the purpose of obtaining wealth. Those riches will come with sorrow.
(Proverbs 10:22)  The blessing of the LORD makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.

Throughout the whole Bible it is written that God wants to bless us and prosper us. We interpret this as material prosperity, but it is much more than that. Even more important than the material is the spiritual prosperity.
(3 John 1:2)  Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.

If you put your trust in money you will suffer at the end. But if you trust in God, you will receive blessing, in the measure the Lord gives you. And even then, the blessing we receive from the Lord is meant to be shared, not accumulated.
(1 Timothy 6:17-19)  As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.


PRAYER
Lord, I confess that sometimes I have let fear into my heart. Today I can see that this is a sin, because I have not believed in You, or maybe I have not even looked into Your Word. Please forgive me, because at times I have put my trust in money, when my security is in You alone. Give me eyes to see the spiritual reality, so that I am not driven by circumstances.

Lord, I want to stop living by sight and start living by faith. I know that without faith it is impossible to please you, and that whoever draws near to you must believe that you exist and that you reward those who seek you. I don’t want to be anxious about my life anymore, what I will eat or what I will drink. I know I must do my part, I must learn to trust in you, because all blessings come from you.  

Lord, I don’t want to be left out of Your Promises because of my lack of faith. I want everything that you have prepared for me. I want the blessing that comes from you, which comes with no sorrow.

[Matthew 6:25; Hebrews 11:6]

Comments