THEY SHALL BE COMFORTED (Mat. 5:4)


(Day 5)

The second of the blessings of the Kingdom of Heaven is:
(Matthew 5:4)  Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.


Again, Jesus surprises us. How could mourning be a blessing? Even though it may seem strange, that is precisely what we need to do when we experience pain in life.

In the world, the “strong” is the one that is able to keep composure and doesn’t cry. But all that is gained from this is a greater load. There are many bitter people in the world today because they did not vent out their grief.

MOURNING FOR PAIN
Pain is a reality in life; we cannot escape from it. Eventually, all of us will experience a loss or a disappointment in life. For example, we all have to face the loss of a loved one, since we will all die some day; we may face a personal failure; we may experience a disappointment in our love life.

Even though these circumstances that bring pain to our lives are not desirable, we can’t deny that they help us grow and appreciate life, even more so than during the highlights in our lives. God makes everything work out for good, even difficult circumstances.
(Romans 8:28) And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

It doesn’t say here that all things will be fine, but that all things (good or bad) will work together for good. We may learn as much from success as from failure; however, the latter is a better teacher, because it helps us learn and mature.

THE BLESSING OF MOURNING
When we go through a painful moment in life it is a blessing to cry, to mourn. Not only because is a way to calm down, but because we find comfort. If we bring our pain to the feet of the Lord’s, He will heal our soul, He will give meaning to that which didn’t have it, and He will help us to gracefully overcome the trial we are facing. When we cry we no longer carry the load on our souls, but the Lord carries it for us, and He will know what to do with it.


“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

David understood this principle. That is why he never held back from crying and grieving before the Lord. He knew he would find comfort.
(Psalm 6:6-10)  I am weary with my moaning; every night I flood my bed with tears; I drench my couch with my weeping. My eye wastes away because of grief; it grows weak because of all my foes. Depart from me, all you workers of evil, for the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping. The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD accepts my prayer. All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled; they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

(Psalm 116:3-7)  The snares of death encompassed me; the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me; I suffered distress and anguish. Then I called on the name of the LORD: "O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!" Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; our God is merciful. The LORD preserves the simple; when I was brought low, he saved me. Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

David knew the only way to come out of the “pit of destruction” is to call unto the Lord and trust in Him.
(Psalm 40:1-5) I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD. Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie! You have multiplied, O LORD my God, your wondrous deeds and your thoughts toward us; none can compare with you! I will proclaim and tell of them, yet they are more than can be told.

On the next entry we will see two instances in which mourning brings comfort.

PRAYER
Lord, I recognize that I have withheld myself from crying because of shame, or pride, or a hardened heart. But that has not helped me at all. I am tired of weeping and crying in my bed, but as soon as I get up I hide my tears as if nothing has happened.

Lord, I don’t want to ignore my pain anymore, but I choose to set it at your feet, because You are the only one that may bring comfort to my soul. By crying I recognize that I need you.

I know that You hear the voice of my cry and my plead. You receive my prayer. When I call on Your name You will answer, because you are merciful, compassionate and just. When I have bowed down before You, You have saved me and I have found rest in You. Therefore I will call unto You, and I will patiently wait. I will cry and I will be comforted.

Thank you, Lord, because I may grieve before you; and thank you because you bring me comfort, forgiveness, healing and restoration. Today I know that those who sow with tears will reap with shouts of joy. He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.

[Psalms 6:6-10; 40:1-5; 126:5-6; 116:3-7]



Comments