THE EFFECT OF HUMILITY


(Day 8)



On the previous entry we talked about the humility that comes from knowing God, the High and Lifted Up. Recognizing our position in relation to God helps us to be more considerate and humble towards others.
(Colossians 3:12-14)  Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

(Ephesians 4:2-3) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Paul explains how to practice humility, and exhorts us to follow Jesus’ example:

(Philippians 2:3-8)  Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

The greek Word translated as “humility” is “Praus”. This same word is also used in reference to horses that have been tamed and have learned to submit to their master. In a similar manner, humility manifests itself in our obedience and submission to God, just as Jesus did, when he was obedient even to the point of death.

Many people relate being humble to being weak, but it is quite the contrary. It requires greater strength of character to practice humility and to obey God, than to do what you want or yield to peer pressure.


THEY SHALL INHERIT THE LAND
The world applauds pride and arrogance, while it underestimates humility and meekness. But in the Kingdom of Heaven it is the opposite. The Lord says that the heathen and the proud shall fall, but the humble will prevail.
(Isaiah 2:11-12)  The haughty looks of man shall be brought low, and the lofty pride of men shall be humbled, and the LORD alone will be exalted in that day. For the LORD of hosts has a day against all that is proud and lofty, against all that is lifted up--and it shall be brought low.
(Psalm 37:7-11)  Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. For the evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait for the LORD shall inherit the land. In just a little while, the wicked will be no more; though you look carefully at his place, he will not be there. But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.

This is exactly what Jesus said: “Blessed are the humble, for they shall inherit the earth.” The Earth is the Lord’s and he gives it to His children.

(Psalm 37:29,34)  The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell upon it forever.
Wait for the LORD and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off.

Humility has a reward:
(Proverbs 22:4) The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life.

But yesterday we mentioned the greatest reward of all:
(Isaiah 57:15)  For thus says the One who is high and lifted up, who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, and also with him who is of a contrite and lowly spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly, and to revive the heart of the contrite.
(Isaiah 66:1)  Thus says the LORD: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool; what is the house that you would build for me, and what is the place of my rest?


PRAYER
Lord, with all my heart I want to put aside my pride. I will set my eyes on You, and not on this world. I will not let humiliations distract me from doing Your will. I want to respond and obey everything You say, like a horse that has been tamed would respond to his master. I will not follow my will, but Yours.

Lord, I need Your grace to help me be humble before men. I want to leave my selfishness and pride, and love others as myself. I will not search for my own interests, but will be concerned for the wellbeing of my brethren and doing Your will.

Lord, I will follow your example of humility and obedience. You left everything and gave your life for us. As a child of God, I cover myself with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, patience, and above all love towards others.

[1 Peter 5:5; Philippians 2:3-8; Colossians 3:12-14]

Comments