PEACE UNLIKE THE WORLD'S


(Day 15)

The world also speaks about “peace”, but they refer to a superficial version of true peace. The only thing that they are pursuing is to put an end to conflict and war, without really solving the root of the problem.

We see an example of this in the book of Jeremiah.
(Jeremiah 6:14-16)  They have healed the wound of my people lightly, saying, 'Peace, peace,' when there is no peace. Were they ashamed when they committed abomination? No, they were not at all ashamed; they did not know how to blush. Therefore they shall fall among those who fall; at the time that I punish them, they shall be overthrown," says the LORD. Thus says the LORD: "Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. But they said, 'We will not walk in it.'

The world imposes peace, sometimes even at the expense of truth and justice. They force the parties in a conflict to compromise and tolerate each other with their different opinions. But this is not God’s peace.

The peace that Jesus was talking about is nothing like the peace we imagine.
(John 14:27)  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING
Spiritual peace is not conditional to external circumstances. Spiritual peace comprehends much more that what we can understand or reason. It comes from the spirit and from faith in God. Jesus said:
(John 16:33)  I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
(Romans 8:5-6)  For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.
(Philippians 4:6-9)  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me--practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Peace begins inside of us. It comes from doing everything as God commanded. If we are at peace with God, we will have inner peace. Then that peace is reflected on the outside, and is transmitted to those around us.
(Romans 14:17-19)  For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Be a Peacemaker
 Paul explains how we may be peacemakers:
(Romans 12:10-18)   Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
The peacemakers shall be called “Sons of God”… because they imitate God.

PRAYER
Lord, I don’t want my peace to depend on outward circumstances, but that my trust may rest on you. I know that in the world I will have tribulation, but I will trust in You, because You are in control and You have overcome the world. I will not be anxious about anything but in everything, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, I will let my requests be known to You, Lord. I know that the peace which surpasses all understanding will guard my heart and my mind.
I will not be forced into tolerance. I choose to please You, not men. The peace I desire more than anything is to be in good standing before my God.
Lord, I want to be a peacemaker, so far as it depends on me. Teach me all the virtues I will need in order to accomplish it. I want to live as a child worthy of You. Amen.

[John 16:33; Philippians 4:6-9; Romans 12:10-18]

Comments