MERCY AND FORGIVENESS


(Day 12)


Yesterday we discussed about the mercy God bestows on us. Today we will talk about the mercy God expects us to extend towards others.
(Matthew 5:7)  Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 



Isn’t it true that all of us like to be the recipients of mercy? But, are we eager at all to extend it towards others? Jesus teaches us that if we want to receive mercy, we must also give mercy. He already set the example for us, it is for us to follow it…

A todos nos gusta que se nos extienda misericordia, ¿no es cierto?
Pero, ¿estaremos igualmente prestos para brindarla?  Jesús nos dice que si queremos recibir misericordia, debemos también darla.  Él ya estableció el ejemplo, y ahora nos toca seguirlo…
(Ephesians 4:32)  Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
(Colossians 3:12-13)  Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

Just as God is merciful, He expects us to be also merciful.
(Matthew 6:14-15)  For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Jesus explained this truth using a parable:
(Matthew 18:23-35) "Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt.
But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizing him, he began to choke him, saying, 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt.
When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."


We are not to show mercy only towards our friends, or those we like - mercy is for everyone, even our enemies.
(Luke 6:31-36) 
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

PRAYER
Lord, I am so grateful for your forgiveness. Teach me to be merciful towards others, just as you are with me. I need your grace, because it is difficult for me to forgive those who have hurt me. But I know that if I set my heart to it, You will help me.

I will forgive as You have forgiven me. I have benefited from Your mercy, and I will bestow it upon others.

I am willing to be kind towards others and show myself to be merciful. As one of God’s chosen people, holy and beloved, I cover up myself with a compassionate heart, kindness, humility, meekness and patience, bearing and forgiving those that have offended me. Just as Christ forgave me, I will forgive. Let all I do be for Your glory!

Take a moment right now to consider if you have a feeling of resentment in your heart… and forgive!

[Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:12-13]

Comments