DIVINE MERCY (Mat. 5:7)


(Day 11)

The fifth blessing in the Kingdom of Heaven is:
(Matthew 5:7)  Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.


The dictionary defines “mercy” as a disposition of being compassionate towards the pain of others or forgiving of the offenses of others. But this definition falls short when we refer to God’s mercy. His mercy is deeper and it encompasses more.
In the Hebrew language there are three words that are commonly translated as “mercy or compassion”. We find all three in a verse in the book of Exodus:
(Exodus 34:6)  The LORD passed before him and proclaimed, "The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.

1. heb.  Rajum: merciful, full of mercy
…as a mother has compasión for the son she had in her “womb” (heb. Rejem)
2.  heb. Janun: to extend grace, a non deserved favor
… as a father that leans towards his son, whenever he needs it.  Even when the son has failed him, he gives him a second chance.
3. heb. Jesed: (heb.) kindness, piety

God used these words when he described himself to Moses. This was after the people of Israel had failed God by creating the Golden Calf. But the Lord was merciful towards them, and forgave them.

God is not required or forced to be merciful. The Bible tells us that He delights in mercy.
(Micah 7:18-19)  Who is a God like you, pardoning iniquity and passing over transgression for the remnant of his inheritance? He does not retain his anger forever, because he delights in steadfast love. He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.
(Psalms 103:8-13)  The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.

The fact that we receive God’s mercy and forgiveness doesn’t give us a “licence to sin”. Better yet, it gives us a second chance, not to continue doing our will, but to do what we must.
(Romans 2:4) Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?


Just as the Lord has shown mercy towards us, He expects us to follow His example and have mercy towards others. Jesus said: “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” (Matthew 5:7).
(Psalm 41:1-4Blessed is the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the LORD delivers him; the LORD protects him and keeps him alive; he is called blessed in the land; you do not give him up to the will of his enemies. The LORD sustains him on his sickbed; in his illness you restore him to full health. As for me, I said, "O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you!"
(Proverbs 14:21)  Whoever despises his neighbor is a sinner, but blessed is he who is generous to the poor.

Mercy is one of the virtues that God expects His children to have.
(Micah 6:8)  He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Tomorrow we will continue speaking about mercy towards our neighbor…

PRAYER
Lord, I thank you for your compassion and mercy towards us. You are righteous, but also compassionate and forgiving, slow to anger and abundant in mercy and faithfulness. I am so grateful.
You forgave my iniquity and passed over my transgression. You have not dealt with me according to my sin, or compensate me according to my iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is your mercy towards those who fear you. You showed compassion on me, and casted all my sins into the depths of the sea. As far as the east is from the west, so far you removed my transgressions from me.
I feel blessed because my transgression was forgiven, and my sin was covered. As a father shows compassion for his children, you have shown compassion for me, Lord.

I did not deserve your compassion, but you extended it to me, because you delight in mercy. I recognize that I am not as merciful and compassionate as you are, but I am willing to learn.

[Micah 7:18-19; Psalms 103:8-13; Exodus 34:6; Psalms 32:1-2]

Comments