A CRY THAT BRINGS COMFORT (Mat 5:4)


(Day 6)

Yesterday we saw what a blessing it is to cry, because when we grieve we recognize that we need God… and when we call out to Him, we will find comfort.

There are two other reasons why we may cry, and also bring comfort: A cry for repentance and a cry of intersession.  


A CRY FOR REPENTANCE
Sometimes pain comes from mistakes we have made in life. It is the consequence of sin. But when we repent, the Lord brings comfort, since He forgives us and teaches us the right path, so that we may no longer fall into the same mistakes. There is comfort both in forgiveness and the lesson learned.
(Isaiah 30:19-21)  For a people shall dwell in Zion, in Jerusalem; you shall weep no more. He will surely be gracious to you at the sound of your cry. As soon as he hears it, he answers you. And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your Teacher will not hide himself anymore, but your eyes shall see your Teacher. And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.

(Jeremiah 31:9)  With weeping they shall come, and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back, I will make them walk by brooks of water, in a straight path in which they shall not stumble, for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.

Many people cry when they repent. It is the cry that comes from recognizing that we have failed God. Nevertheless, it is a grief that brings comfort, because God forgives those who repent.
(2 Corinthians 7:9-11)  As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death. For see what earnestness this godly grief has produced in you, but also what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what punishment! …

CRY FOR INTERCESION
Another instance in which it is good to cry is during intercession. Sometimes the Lord may place a burden in the heart of his servants. Its purpose is not to “make them suffer”, but to nudge them into interceding, either for a particular situation or a person in need.


Intercession opens doors and allows Heaven to come down to Earth, and the Lord to intervene in out lives or the lives of those for whom we are praying.

The cry of an intercessor is a blessing, because it brings comfort, healing and restoration to those who need it.
(Isaiah 66:10-14)  "Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice with her in joy, all you who mourn over her; that you may nurse and be satisfied from her consoling breast; that you may drink deeply with delight from her glorious abundance." For thus says the LORD: "Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the nations like an overflowing stream; and you shall nurse, you shall be carried upon her hip, and bounced upon her knees. As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you; you shall be comforted in Jerusalem. You shall see, and your heart shall rejoice; your bones shall flourish like the grass; and the hand of the LORD shall be known to his servants, and he shall show his indignation against his enemies.

Isaiah says that he who mourns will be satisfied with the Lord’s comfort. The prophet uses the image of a baby being comforted with his mother milk when he cries. How could a mother know her child is hungry if he doesn’t cry?

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” (Matthe5:4)


PRAYER
Lord, I will not contain my tears anymore; I will let them pour out because I will find comfort in You. When I call you will answer.

I will come to You in tears, but you will guide me, you will make me walk by streams of water, in a straight path in which I will not fall, because You are my Teacher. You will show me the straight path in which I should walk.

Today I recognize that some of the tears I have shed have been the result of my sin. But today I confess my faults, and in repentance I ask for your forgiveness and for a new opportunity to do things the way You command.

Lord, I want to serve You and Your people as an intercessor. Give me discernment to recognize when a burden comes from You, so I may pray and intercede for others.

[Right now… close your eyes and ask the Lord: Is there someone for whom you want me to intercede at the moment?

[Isaiah 30:19-21; Jeremiah 31:9]

Comments