Introduction: SERMON ON THE MOUNT



(Day 1)

 

The “Sermon on the Mount” is the teaching Jesus gave at the beginning of His ministry. It is known by that name because Jesus went up a mountain to teach the multitude that was following him. 

This teaching is registered in two of the four gospels: Matthew and Luke. In the gospel of Matthew, it covers three chapters (5-7), while Luke only gives a summary half a chapter long.
(6:20-49).

There seems to be a discrepancy between both narratives: in Matthew it says that Jesus went up on the mountain (5:1), while Luke says that he stood on a level place (6:17). But it only take a look at a picture of the place to know that they are both actually speaking of the same event, but from a different perspective. 


Notice that in the picture there is a level place, and on the left there is a hill going up. Both Jesus and the multitude went up from the lake to reach the level place.  There is where the people remained, while Jesus went up a little further, on the hill, so that everybody may see him and hear him. Of all the places around the Sea of Galilee, this is known for having great acoustics. The Lord thinks of everything, down to the smallest detail.

Why did Matthew write more in detail about this teaching? Maybe it is because his Gospel is focused more on the subject of the Kingdom of Heaven, which is a central theme in the “Sermon on the Mount”. In this sermon, Jesus speaks about what is expected of a citizen of the Kingdom of God. The obvious prerequisite is living according to God’s order, which is spelled out in the commandments. In the Kingdom of Heaven, God is the King and the Constitution is the Word of God.

Many believers are satisfied by living a lifestyle that is just a little better than the world’s standard… just enough to make them feel “better”, but very much below the measure that God wants and expects from us.  Where do we find this measure? The Lord said it on the Sermon on the Mount:
(Matthew 5:48)  You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

This is a message that we find throughout the whole Bible:
(2 Corinthians 13:11)  Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

(Leviticus 19:2)  Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them, You shall be holy, for I the LORD your God am holy.

(1 Peter 1:14-16)  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY."

(James 1:2-4)  Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

The measure we should aim for is to be holy and perfect. Does it sound impossible? It is humanly impossible, but the Lord helps us perfect ourselves one step at a time. There is no sudden change. What is important is that we must not conform until we reach the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.
(Ephesians 4:13-15)  until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ.


PRAYER
In this day of fasting I bring my heart before you Lord, to receive that which you have for me in this particular time.

I do not want to conform myself to this world, but to be transformed according to the renewal of my mind, in order to know your perfect will.

Lord, I want to be holy, as You are Holy. It seems impossible to me, but I know You can help me in the process. I set my will and my disposition to be transformed, and I trust that You will perform Your perfect work in me. Your grace is sufficient for me, for Your power is made perfect in my weakness.

I do not consider to have attained perfection, but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

[Rom. 12:2; 2 Cor. 12:9; Phil. 3:13-21]

Comments